Saturday, September 2, 2023

Remembering Jimmy Buffett; SNS at 13: Blog Thoughts on Its Anniversary (SNS week of 8/27/2023)

 (I had finished much of this week's blog, with reflections on 13 years of blogging, when I had heard about the passing of "Trop Rock" legend Jimmy Buffett, thus I will lead off with thoughts on the singer).


Jimmy Buffett passed away on September 1.  He was 76.


You know the songs he was associated with.   Just the thought of his name, and some of his songs evokes sitting on a beach bar somewhere, having a tropical drink and forgetting about life for a while. So, it was a shock to hear of the passing of Jimmy Buffett, at the age of 76, who pretty much turned a song into a chain operation of resort-themed tropical bars and projecting a laid-back "beach bum" image.  

While "Margaritaville" is his most well-known song, and in fact was his biggest hit, going to #8 in the spring of 1977, many of his other songs were classics.   Starting out mostly as a country singer in the late 1960's, he moved on to more of a singer-songwriter style in the early 1970's.    His first big hit came in the summer of 1974, "Come Monday", which would be a far cry from the "party anthems" he would soon get into, but the song was one of my favorites by him.   The song reached #30 on the Hot 100, but came in at #60 on my year-end list for that year.    That song would "rescue" him in other ways, too, as he was feeling really down in the dumps.  "This is a song that kept me from killing myself at a Howard Johnson's in Marin County", he would later speak of the song becoming his first big hit.

Originally from Mississippi, but starting his music career in Nashville, he was enticed by country singer Jerry Jeff Walker to explore Key West, and the image of that tropical spot stuck with him.    In 1977, as mentioned above, he had what was to be his signature song "Margaritaville", and for the next couple of years, he hit with similar songs, many of which were island and party staples:  "Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes", "Cheeseburger in Paradise", and "Fins".   Many of his songs were played at Jersey Shore clubs during the summers I spent there in beach houses.   Aside from the above, "Volcano", and "Why Don't We Get Drunk" were popular with the shore crowd.

While the hits cooled off in the 1980's, he built a reputation for his live concerts and attracted a solid fan base, affectionately known as "Parrotheads".   He parlayed two of his well-known songs, "Margaritaville" and "Cheeseburger in Paradise" into business franchises. 

Buffett continued recording throughout the 80's, 90's, 2000's and also guested on several other artists' songs and albums.   Two, in particular stand out, both #1 on the country charts:   He duetted with Alan Jackson on 2003's "It's Five O'clock Somewhere", my #1 song for that year, and with the Zac Brown Band's "Knee Deep", which reached #23 on the SNS 100 and stayed on the blog for 26 weeks, and my year-end #81.  Another Zac Brown song, "Toes", while not featuring Buffett, would revisit that laid-back tropical resort lifestyle.

His 30th album, released in 2020, Life On the Flip Side, contained the prophetic title of "Live, Like It's Your Last Day".   

Buffett, whose cause of death was not mentioned, definitely exhibited the good life, something that resonated with his audience.  Just the thought of being on a beach, with a tropical drink, with a nice, cool breeze, brought a sense of comfort and relaxation to myself and many others.    He will definitely be missed.  





THIRTEEN-YEAR REFLECTIONS:  This past week, Scenes 'n' Soundwaves turned 13 years old, and what was a way to get back into listening to new music on a regular basis, has, through thick and thin, held up, despite some changes in the way I listen to it, and to how others do as well.

The first blog, dated August 23, 2010 was not on the Blogspot platform but merely a Facebook note, and it listed my top 20 songs of the week.    It was part of a bigger chart, but for several months, I only posted the twenty songs I listened to most.     Several friends still listened to new music at that point, one of them, Brian Sniatkowski, used to post on his Facebook page a "Song of the Week" that most often was subsequently to my playlist.   

The goal of my blog was to create a playlist that wasn't centered around just one genre, unlike what a Top 40 (or Contemporary Hit Radio) station had become.    Broadcast radio stations used have variety going back to the 1960's through the early 1980's until the "fragmentation" resulted in certain demographics resulted in turn-off by some listeners depending on age or genre.    Back in the 1960's, you had Frank Sinatra playing right after The Rolling Stones, and by the early 1980's, it was the same with Barbra Streisand and Bruce Springsteen, for example.    

But I loved the variety.   And while I had stuck with Top 40 through much of the 80's, I started getting into what would later become "Modern Rock" (or "Alternative" as it later became known).     That format in itself was actually multi-genre-powered; it originally existed as a "catch-all" for any songs that didn't fit the other genres, like pop, R&B, hip-hop, country, metal, you name it.     

By 2004, while I still lent an ear to what was out there, I was vastly losing interest in new music.   Most of my contemporaries I grew up with, abandoned anything new as early as 1980, but I kept at it.   When I listen to a 1960's or seventies song, it brought back memories to what I was doing, who I was with, and where I was at a particular time.     But adulthood also brings memories, and the 1980's was an important era as well.    While pop music in that era once again brought people together, thanks mainly to MTV, by 1992 it became fragmented again, even more so.     I couldn't relate to what was popular then (mostly hip-hop, R&B, and adult contemporary) so I turned exclusively to alternative.     While much of THAT left much to be desired as the decade wore on, I got to pick and choose what I liked.

And that became the basis for what would eventually become my blog.     In the 2000's, I halfheartedly listened to new music briefly, then went back to the oldies.    There was some good music that were pop hits in that decade, but after 2003, although I still bought music, it was few and far between.    I had created my year end Top 100 and compiled that at the end of each year, but 2003 was the last year I did this.

Keep in mind, I wasn't into social media (I ignored the Myspace phenomenon).   But of course, during that time, I met my wife, spent a lot of time with her, getting married in 2007 and buying a house.   And then I bit the bullet and, thanks to a college friend inviting me, I signed up for Facebook in September 2008.    Having for the most part losing touch with the music scene, one morning I woke up on a Saturday in late October 2008 and decided to watch VH-1, which, unlike MTV, was actually still airing music videos for a few hours, anyway.     Some great songs like John Legend's "Green Light" and Adele's "Chasing Pavements", were awesome.   That was augmented that very night when I tuned into Saturday Night Live, with an appearance by then Alaska governor (and vice-presential candidate) Sarah Palin.   The musical guest was none other than Adele, who performed that very song I discovered that morning.

My music sense was coming back.   Social media allows you to interact with many of the recording stars.    At the end of 2009, I brought back my top 100 of the year by posting it as a Facebook note.  It attracted many comments by friends; there was an interaction that I hadn't had with music since perhaps the eighties, and by the following summer, I decided to make my own playlist as I was really detached from anything that was on the radio.    I had an iPod and was downloading music from iTunes or Amazon; thus, I was able to make a playlist, that I could change from week to week. 

In April 2011, over seven months later, I moved the blog to the Blogspot platform where it stands to the present day, at the advice of a then-friend.   But through the years I have seen many changes.  While not necessarily what constitutes "pop music" (that leaves much to be desired) but change in the way we can access music.     There are now podcasts, Internet radio stations, and probably most importantly, streaming services.     It was only the beginning of this year that I made the switch to streaming, as I am able to share playlists on Spotify (aside from here on SNS, where I provide links, when available, to videos of the songs on my playlist).

What I do each week is a tedious operation.      Most of my friends, except for a popular song that they feature on a post or in memes, don't listen to anything new; often mocking the artists (lately, Taylor Swift and Lizzo--two of the better artists out there---come to mind).   Luckily, I have picked up some other friends who DO listen to the new stuff.  And then there are those who actually record and perform.   In particular, many of the indie artists hailing from my home state of New Jersey, who I've become friends with on social media.     I've tried to give these local, obscure artists the same leverage on my blog as the established artists and superstars because in my opinion, they are just as deserving.    Rachel Allyn, Paul Czekaj, Elise Farnsworth, Hegazy, David F. Porfirio, Shannon Marsyada, and Colorjoy, Karen Wallo, C. Lynne Smith and Avi Wisnia are just some of the artists from here, New York City and Pennsylvania that I've connected with and featured their music.     And then there's the Carolina Beach Music community.

When I started adding beach music artists to my blog, I was overwhelmed with the reception I've gotten and continued to get.   I've been a longtime fan of that genre...even before I knew it was called beach music.    But the support I have received from these artists, fans, those who cover the scene on social media and even some area deejays has been overwhelming.    It's not hard to embrace these artists when you love the music they make.    A big thank you to all of those down at the Grand Strand for your support of the blog and welcoming me.

It's a lot of work doing this, and for me it's strictly a hobby to research the music.   I don't make a cent from doing this.   It might be just easy to look at the charts and see what's moving up and include that on the Scenes 'n' Soundwaves 100, and although I do just that, I dig deeper.   Checking out various radio station playlists, suggestions from Spotify, and even going on indie websites to find something worth listening to.    Festivals that I attend which feature many performers give me ideas as well, to which I have to search websites to find out information on these artists.    Then the key is to score and rank these songs based on various criteria.     To then tabulate the results in chart form, then to post it on a blog, as well as to write a narrative week after week takes a lot of time.   Luckily, I have that, but there were times when I had a steady job that I have threatened to quit this.    I actually have taken two hiatuses:   Three months in 2014 and three to start 2020.    Being let go of one job, and the pandemic, respectively caused me to keep going.

At the end of each year, I will decide whether to continue this for another year or hang it up.   Perhaps explore other ways of presenting the music...a podcast or simply posting the chart on social media are possibilities.   We shall see.    

BILLBOARD HOT 100:   Looking at the big chart, "Rich Men North of Richmond" stays at the top spot.  The surprisingly out-of-left-field song by an artist who had been literally off the grid has been turning heads and attracting commentary from all angles.    While last week's #1 debut was a surprise, I'm sure reason why the song stayed on top this week was that everyone else has jumped on board.   Well, almost everyone.  The left continues to attack the song, and while the right embraces it, Oliver Anthony maintains that this song is anti-politics, left or right.   He has chastised the right for "embracing" it and playing the song in their debates.    He is the "everyman", who has just flat out pointed out the ineptness of politicians by not looking out for the average person trying to make a living.    He wants the best thing for this country and neither side of the aisle is getting that message.     But with the top ranking two weeks in a row, perhaps people are finally listening.    I've seen some videos about both the song and those featuring Anthony.    He is the real deal, down to earth, and not something contrived, as the left might have you think.    Have liberals gone so far out there as to not caring about the well-being of the average Joe?  They've lost the forest for the trees.     Anthony has also chastised the right as well (and he has a point there.... get off the political platform and DO something).

With Luke Combs and Morgan Wallen at #2 and #3 respectively, country yet again rules the Hot 100.   Taylor Swift is still #4 with "Cruel Summer".    Then there's Doja Cat moving up to #5 after debuting at a lowly (for a rap song) #15 and staying there last week, with "Paint the Town Red".    Next week should be interesting.    Will "Rich Men North of Richmond" drop like "Try That In A Small Town" did?    Will Luke Combs' "Fast Car" finally hit the top?    Can Taylor Swift come up with a jolt, perhaps a remix or adding a featured singer, at the end of summer to grab the top spot?   Can Doja Cat break the rap dry spell?   There's speculation that a new country duet with Zach Bryan and Kasey Musgraves might debut at the top spot.   If that happens, then this country invasion could be the real deal.

SNS 100:   While Combs, Swift and Wallen are still in my top 10 as well, we do have a new leader on the blog chart.    Reggae band Iration grab their first #1 on the blog chart with "Daytrippin'".   While Iration has had a few blog hits, the song also is moving up the alternative airplay charts, which I think is the first time the band has appeared there.     

Two beach music songs move into the 2 and 3 spots.   The Tonez' "Caught Up" inches closer to the top (3-2), while Lesa Hudson has her all-time solo best with a 7-3 move for "Count on Me", which is a follow-up to her #1 duet with bandmate Rick Strickland, "Got It Right (The First Time)".    Taylor Swift duplicates her #4 Billboard ranking here with "Cruel Summer", switching places with Wallen's "Last Night".     Hozier's "Francesca" which was #1 here for three weeks (and currently #2 on Triple-A), drops to #6.    Rounding out the top ten are Kesha's former blog #1 "Only Love Can Save Us Now" (6-7), which might be the first blog #1 from an established pop artist to never chart anywhere else (it should have); "Fast Car" (9-8), switching places with Say She She's "Reeling", and Jersey band Pollyanna's "Good For You".    Incidentally for the second week in a row, Say She She has three songs in the top 20.

In the second ten, SZA's "Snooze" moves 15-11, the same position it holds on the Hot 100.  Colorjoy grabs the Impact award for "Apathy", being their sixth song from their debut album Golden Age to score top 20.    Inching back into the top 20 is Jerry Powell's "One More Summer Night" (23-19).  The song originally hit #6 here, before dropping as low as #26.  But continued beach music chart action on the song has moved the song back up. 

In the middle of the chart, Michael McMeel's cover of "I'll Be Around" moves 54-38, just ahead of Fall Out Boy's cover of "We Didn't Start the Fire" (78-39) which garners Mover honors.

NEW ADDITIONS:  While Starbuck's "On the Sand" moves from the Tremors list to the Top Debut at #61, several new songs are added to the playlist.  Middle Kids, who had a nice blog hit with "Questions" two summers ago, return with "Highlands".   The Aussieband, fronted by Hannah Joy is in rare form with the heard of what alt-rock is all about.    Heartfelt and chugging at the same time, should be another winner.   Deer Tick had one blog song, "Let's All Go To The Bar" that peaked at #59 in 2011, but they return, with "Forgiving".   This is an up-tempo rather alternative slant to Americana and its persistent and you feel like rocking along to it.   Nicely done.

The National return with the mid-tempo "Eucalyptus", sort of a change-of-pace.   Maybe shades of R.E.M., and it's rather sentimental.   Could click.    Tame Impala seems to be a backup band these days; this time it's accompanying Thundercat on that band's blog debut, "Forgiving".    Sort of a Steely Dan-type vibe here, easy going, often jazzy like with a rhythmic beat.    Has a shot.   Cold War Kids return with "Run Away With Me".  While it's a follow-up to the #1 blog hit, "What You Say", that song was, for the most part, ignored at alternative radio, at least when compared to prior material.    This one is a driving, throbbing, rhythmic song that should score well at alternative, and with a few listens, another blog hit as well.   Finally, Mitski returns with "Bug Like An Angel"; this is in the singer-songwriter lane, which has possibilities, with a choir-like chorus to it.



Scenes ‘n’ Soundwaves 100 Playlist

August 27, 2023


This Week

Last Week

ARTIST-Title

Weeks on List

1

2

NUMBER ONE:

IRATION

"Daytrippin'"

(Single Only)

10

2

3

The Tonez - Caught Up

15

3

7

Lesa Hudson - Count On Me

12

4

5

Taylor Swift - Cruel Summer

9

5

4

Morgan Wallen - Last Night

20

6

1

Hozier - Francesca

9

7

6

Kesha - Only Love Can Save Us Now²

11

8

9

Luke Combs - Fast Car

10

9

8

Say She She - Reeling

14

10

10

Pollyanna - Good For You

10

11

15

SZA - Snooze

7

12

11

The Faithful Brothers - Dance My Hurt Away

8

13

12

LP - One Like You

9

14

13

Too Much Sylvia - It Still Is

14

15

20

Say She She - Astral Plane

5

16

27

TOP 20 IMPACT OF THE WEEK:

COLORJOY

"Apathy"

Album: Golden Age

5

17

18

Jason Aldean - Try That In A Small Town

6

18

14

Miley Cyrus - Jaded

15

19

23

Jerry Powell - One More Summer Night

18

20

16

Say She She - Don't You Dare Stop

14

21

17

Orbis Max with Lisa Mychols ft. Ed Ryan - R U OK

22

22

40

Thee Sacred Souls - Running Away

5

23

19

Elle King - Jersey Giant

9

24

26

Marlisa Kay Small and Jerry Thomas West - Love Really Hurts Without You

17

25

32

Sir Prize and the Twomorrow Knightz - Automatic Satin Circus

9

26

35

The Record Company - Talk To Me

6

27

33

Lainey Wilson - Watermelon Moonshine

6

28

21

John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band - Day In the Sun

13

29

22

Arlo Parks - Devotion

11

30

25

Dua Lipa - Dance The Night

13

31

38

Roger Smith - Baby Boomers

9

32

37

Danielle Ponder - Roll The Credits

9

33

41

Cat5 Band - What's Love Got To Do With You

11

34

28

Lana Del Rey - Say Yes To Heaven

9

35

34

Jon Pardi - Your Heart Or Mine

7

36

30

Deb Browning - Think I Found Forever

24

37

43

The Holiday Band - Happy Music

9

38

54

Michael McMeel - I'll Be Around

3

39

78

MOVER OF THE WEEK:


FALL OUT BOY

"We Didn't Start The Fire"

Album: So Much (for) Stardust (Deluxe Edition)

2

40

24

Rev. Bubba D. Liverance and the Cornhole Prophets - Dreamsicle

12

41

45

Olivia Rodrigo - Vampire

8

42

49

Gary Lowder and Smokin' Hot ft. Bridger Warlick - Picture of You

5

43

46

Highwind - Never Sitting Pretty

11

44

31

Orbis Max - No Hero

14

45

42

The Main Event Band ft. Sharon Woodruff - Love Makes The World Go Round

18

46

29

Einsteins Dad - Anytime Blues

14

47

50

Nick Waterhouse - Hide and Seek

7

48

36

Cannons - Loving You

13

49

39

Colorjoy - Vacant Side

17

50

56

Jim Quick and Coastline - Eight Four Three

4

51

44

Randy Clay Band - Wildflower

8

52

65

Rivermist - Right Place Right Time

2

53

55

Gabby Barrett - Glory Days

7

54

47

Jenny Lewis - Psychos

19

55

48

Rhonda McDaniel - Say A Prayer

15

56

52

Thee Sacred Souls - Love Is The Way

17

57

83

King Tappa - One Day

2

58

51

Beach Weather - Sex, Drugs, Etc.

10

59

57

Say She She - In My Head

26

60

89

Pepper - Get Me Ready

2

61

101

TOP DEBUT:


STARBUCK

"On the Sand"

(Single Only)

1

62

87

Oliver Anthony Music - Rich Men North of Richmond

2

63

61

Molly Burch - Physical

6

64

53

Frankie Cosmos - Abigail

10

65

72

Metric - Just the Once

3

66

64

Demi Lovato - Swine

6

67

67

Orbis Max - The North

5

68

69

Loverboy - Release

8

69

74

Queens of the Stone Age - Paper Machete

3

70

63

Allison Ponthier - Character Development

6

71

77

Juliet Callahan - Heal

3

72

66

Grace Potter - Good Time

8

73

68

David F. Porfirio - No Way Out

5

74

76

Phillip Phillips -- Dancing With Your Shadows

4

75

79

The Revivalists - Good Old Days

3

76

70

Beck and Phoenix - Odyssey

5

77

58

Pageants - Worse

14

78

91

Rev. Bubba D. Liverance and the Cornhole Prophets - Edisto

2

79

59

Allison Ponthier - Hollywood Forever Cemetary

16

80

60

Halogens - Without Warning

11

81

 ---

Middle Kids - Highlands

1

82

 ---

Deer Tick - Forgivering Ties

1

83

62

Eddie Testa Band - Feel The Love

11

84

--- 

Cold War Kids - Run Away With Me

1

85

86

Arlo Parks - Weightless

28

86

85

The Carolina Queens - The Shoop Shoop Song (It's In His Kiss)

22

87

88

The Struts - Too Good at Raising Hell

2

88

71

Rick Strickland and Lesa Hudson - Got it Right (The First Time)

31

89

93

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Stuck

4

90

98

The Hives - Bogus Operandi

2

91

94

Donna Missal - God Complex

4

92

95

Billie Eilish - What Was I Made For

3

93

--- 

The National - Eucalyptus

1

94

--- 

Thundercat and Tame Impala - No More Lies

1

95

75

Hannah Goodall - The Girl Who Once Loved You

20

96

103

Portugal. The Man ft Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Summer of Luv

1

97

80

Colorjoy - Blue Eyed Addiction (Renewed Version)

17

98

90

Gwen Stefani - True Babe

7

99

100

Fishbone - Cubical

3

100

--- 

Mitski - Bug Like An Angel

1


Tremors:

101. Noah Kahan, Dial Drunk

102. The Regrettes, Dancing On My Own

103. Momma, Bang Bang

104. Bryan Hansen Band, Death of a Yes Man

105. Daisy Jones and The Six, Look At Us Now (Honeycomb)


Tremors: Songs which have steady or increasing points but not enough to chart on the SNS 100.


Song garnered most plays on Spotify, for the  month, with a superscript following the symbol if most played for multiple months Song among top 5 most plays on Spotify.  Awards given during the last blog of each month.

Songs on the SNS 100 are included on the following public Spotify playlists

 

Scenes ‘n’ Soundwaves Top 40:  Contains songs in positions 1-40 on the SNS 100

Scenes Up and Coming:  Songs below #40 that are moving up the chart.

Scenes Recurrents: Songs which have dropped below the top 40 but are still on the SNS 100








No comments:

Post a Comment