Sunday, February 5, 2023

At the Crossroads: Where Do I Go From Here?; Miley, Say She She Top BB, SNS (SNS week of 1/29/2023)

 Hey folks, this one is a little late as I had vowed to try and get these blogs out the week that they are supposed to be for.   Then again, that's part of the problem that I have.    Because of several notable passings in the music world the past few weeks, it's delayed my planned blog as to whether this will continue through 2023.

So, here we are.   The good news is that the SNS 100, my weekly playlist of what I'm listening to will continue another year.    There is some exciting music, and as you can see below, there are some big movers on my chart.    I really get excited when there's many good songs out there, whether they are national hits, like "Flowers", regional hits like the latest Rick Strickland/Lesa Hudson and Bubba D. Liverance songs, indie stuff like Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Say She She, and of course, local indie artists that I will continue to look for and try and support.    It's mixes like this, rather than listening to just one genre that makes my music experience more enjoyable.

As many of you know, I was set to retire this blog at the end of 2019.   It was a logical decision since I had started it at the beginning of the 2010's and my Top 100 of that decade would make closure.   Then enter COVID.     We were shut down, we were quarantined, I had to retire, giving me a lot of time on my hands.    During the three months before that, there was some great music out there that I felt like I couldn't ignore.    And because of COVID, many artists couldn't perform live, instead doing Facebook Live and on other remote apps.    I don't get out to many performances, especially at night, and because of the conveniences of just checking in from my phone or computer, I was exposed to many aspiring artists during that period, and many of them became mainstays on the SNS 100 chart, and I even became friends with many of them on social media.    From local artists to those across the pond, and, last year, many in the Carolina beach music scene, not only embraced my blog, but also shared it on their pages, to which I am grateful.

But, like many television shows, recording artists and other "fads" that come and go, there's an ebb and flow to them.    Artists and shows that are popular for a couple years can fall off the grid very quickly.    The original intention of my blog was to showcase new music and to share it with friends, and perhaps lead a discussion to its merits, as well as discuss other songs by a particular artist.   That actually happened last week when a friend mentioned she liked another song by Say She She, and which will prompt me to check it out as well.    But while the post got a bunch of likes and comments, mostly about the passing of David Crosby, I had my lowest number of views since June 2020.

I do this blog for the love of music, and I don't make any money off of it.   I suppose I could add some advertising on the page, but how much money could I amass from it?    And most people aren't interested in new music, pretty much leaving their tastes in the 1980's and before.   A case in point:   I recently started making countdown videos, originally showcasing all my #1 songs in the blog area.  I followed that with a Top 100 Christmas countdown and then my Top 100 of 2022.    One person remarked that my 2022 list didn't have any recognizable songs, and, except for Elton John (at #99 with Britney Spears on "Hold Me Closer"), any artists she knew.      I then made videos, with a few seconds of video clips for each song, for 1979 and 1974.   The former has over three thousand views as of this writing, as opposed to 150 for the 2022 list.   

When I write a blog of this proportions, it takes several hours, from compiling my spreadsheet to deciding and listening to any new music to add, and then to write about not only those new songs, but to blog about any other musical aspects, artists who may have passed, or some of my experiences with music during my lifetime, and doing the research associated with it, is time consuming.   I have other responsibilities around the house and interests as well outside of music.    When the blog gets in the way (as it has this week, as we were mourning the death of our beloved dog Kolby, and then catching up on other things), it doesn't become fun anymore.

That said, the blog will continue for now, and as I mentioned earlier, the SNS 100 chart.    However, much of the time, it will be just the chart, maybe a blurb about the Billboard Hot 100 or noteworthy additions to my playlist.  But I am also looking into another way of presenting the list.    Last year, beach music deejay Pat Gwinn actually offered to make a syndicated radio countdown show based on my list.  While that was a flattering offer and honor, it would become a chore to compile the list every week, and not being able to miss a week, as I do occasionally when I combine a couple weeks every now and then, would become a factor.    

Other possibilities are to create a placard page similar to what Gwinn, Mitch Harb, Ray Scott and Justin Rouse when they post to Facebook about the top beach music songs on their respective charts.  I'm not sure how they do that (is it with Microsoft PowerPoint?  Regardless, I guess I need to ask), and then perhaps post a top 20 or 40 on my Facebook page.     Artists like Deb Browning and Lesa Hudson also do that to promote their charting songs.    Another possibility is to do a video clip countdown of the top 20 each week, similar to my recent Top 100 countdowns, but I'd have to see if it was worth the effort.    

I am also in the process of checking out Spotify.   Both myself and my wife just signed up for a dual subscription.    As you well know, my chart is based on my playlist that since the beginning, I've kept on iTunes and loaded onto my iPod.   While that may be old technology, all songs I've downloaded are available to add to it, and I can play it on several Bluetooth devices.   But only myself can listen to it, and I am not able to share.    A couple of weeks ago, I tested a top 10 list on Spotify on my account; last week I expanded it to 20 positions, and this week, 30 positions.    Spotify will also tack on new music that is similar to those on my playlists.  I made it public so others can check it out and they do have a wide variety of songs.   I can play them on my desktop computer, phone and Alexa.    But so far, the drawback is that not all songs are available on Spotify.    On my top 30 playlist this week, for example, three songs were not found on Spotify, all beach music:   Rick Strickland and Lesa Hudson's "Got it Right (The First Time)" at #5, Bubba D. Liverance's "Ti Ta Ti Ta Ti Ta Ta" at #6, and Carolina Blue Dots' "Hey Girl Hey Boy" at #28 this week.    Generally, beach music artists get exposure via radio requests and often they don't put out mp3's except for the radio deejays.   And while Bubba and Rick & Lesa have older songs on the platform, these newer songs are not yet on there.    

Spotify does allow you to upload an mp3 on your computer to the playlist, and while they do play on my computer, it doesn't when you play from your phone or Bluetooth device.   It may be that I would have to upload it to my android phone for it to work, so I am still experimenting.    Still, most of the songs are available on Spotify as a public playlist.   Whether I will continue to build on that playlist will remain to be seen, but I am finally acknowledging that this is the future of music, although I still like my trusty iPod.

So, for now, Blogspot will be the way to present my Scenes 'n' Soundwaves 100, but on most weeks, it will just be the chart.    Every few weeks I will blog about what's going on in the music industry.   We do have the Grammys this weekend, and they announced the latest nominations for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (and there are some interesting ones, including the first year of eligibility for The White Stripes), but I will attempt to write about those and similar topics every few weeks.

But right here, I want to thank all those artists, deejays and friends who have been supporting Scenes 'n' Soundwaves all these years and I hope they will continue.    Music isn't going away, and in April, we have a planned trip to Ocean Isle Beach and hoping to check out some of the beach music artists that have been on my playlist chart during the past year.

CHART TIME:   Say She She's "Trouble" stays at #1 on the SNS 100 for a third week and it still has a comfortable margin, but many huge movers have permeated the upper part of the chart.    Stephen Sanchez's "Until I Found You", still #29 on the Billboard Hot 100 after 30 weeks on that chart, jumps 9-2 in only its third week.    But there are three other big movers into the Top 10.   Last week's Top Debut, Rick Strickland & Lesa Hudson's "Got it Right (The First Time)" moves 25-5 to grab Impact honors, while Rev. Bubba D. Liverance's "Ti Ta Ti Ta Ti Ta Ta" rises 16-6.   

'FLOWERS' ON THE AIR:  Miley Cyrus' "Flowers", which debuted at #1 on the Hot 100 last week, maintains that position this week, and the song is getting loads of buzz, as I mentioned last week.  My friend Gia Walton, who plays with "Tiny Bubbles Ukelele" in the mid-Hudson valley of New York state, posted a video of her performing the song.  As a result, the song moves 20-8 on the SNS 100 for her third blog top 10.   

It will be an interesting week coming up.   Can Say She She hold onto the top spot?  If it does, it will be the first four-week run at #1 since Anna Lavigne's "Dance the Last Goodbye" did it over a year ago.  But Stephen Sanchez, Rick & Lesa, Bubba and Miley all have a shot at it.  If "Got it Right" claims the brass ring next week, it will tie a record for the quickest rise to the top spot.

NEW:   Nine debuts this week as I increased the adds in order to force off most of the holiday music.   Four of them are by beach music artists:   Gary Lowder & Smokin' Hot had a sizable blog hit with "Any Other Love" and they follow it with "Don't Let Her Go", the Top Debut this week.  It's a similar-type song with great instrumentation and soulful and could exceed the peak of the prior hit; Sylvia Johns Ritchie, coming off a Top Ten duet with Doyle Wood as well as a holiday charter, is back with the solo "Lovin' My Blues Away", a swinging, bouncy, big-band blues fest that's a throwback to the golden era.   Shagging heaven on this one.    The Carolina Blue Dots follow up their blog #1 "Cruzin' Down the Boulevard" with "New Shoes, Let's Go Dancing" which has more in common with the above-mentioned Sylvia Johns Ritchie song rather than the prior hit; and the blog debut from the I-42 Band with "Atlantic Beach Days", a soulful and heartfelt (especially the bridge) ode to that named Carolina beach that should do very well.

Probably the hardest working artist of 2022, Tim Izzard is back with "Walk the Walk".   While his participation in both Orbis Max and The AZIZ Project showcased his versatility, here he returns to his neo-glam style that marked his prior solo outings.  But, while prior stuff like "Glam Rock Star" and "The Night I Played Ziggy's Guitar" was much about the 1970's glam scene as it was played in that style, this is pure neo-glam and once again, you can't help with the David Bowie comparisons, but it's an original song that is in that retro style.   What drives the SNS 100 is the presence of many genres of the past, and Izzard has this early 1970's stuff down pat.   A worthy song that is from his new EP, Deepfake '99.

Avril Lavigne, who last year hit the Top 10 with "Bite Me" is back with "I'm A Mess" that features YUNGBLOD.   This is her best in years, it's a mid-tempo, heartfelt song that is a departure from much of her recent output.    Like "Bite Me" it has an alt-rock edge, and the instrumentation is brought out more because of the slower tempo.     A winner.    Remember Hozier?    The artist who had huge a huge national hit with "Take Me To Church" and a blog number one with "Someone New", is back with "Swan Upon Leda".   It's a slow, ambiance-filled, instrument-rich song that is a departure from his prior work.    Also entering is "Many Times" the blog debut from German-born, Maryland-based Dijon, and the latest from French band Phoenix, with "Winter Solstice".

WHET YOUR APPETITE:  I mentioned above about what drives this blog is great music.  We already have new entries from Rick & Lesa, Bubba D. Liverance and Miley Cyrus, but more new music from blog favorites is imminent.   The top blog artists from the last two years are about to deliver new music:   Deb Browning's "I Think I Found Forever" is a couple weeks away and is her official follow-up to "3 More Minutes", and Colorjoy, consisting of two former members of ScreenAge will officially debut two singles in March and an album to follow.   Colorjoy forwarded to me an advance copy of "Golden Age", due to drop March 3 and "Beautiful People" on March 17.   After listening to them, I would say that Emily MacMahon and Sam Novotny have delivered the goods.    The long-awaited album, also titled Golden Age, drops in May.

And THAT, my friends, is why I still do a blog!

Scenes ‘n’ Soundwaves 100 Playlist

January 29, 2023


This Week

Last Week

ARTIST-Title

Weeks on List

1

1

NUMBER ONE:


SAY SHE SHE

"Trouble"

(Single Only)

(3 Weeks at #1)

11

2

9

Stephen Sanchez - Until I Found You

3

3

2

Local Natives - Just Before the Morning

9

4

3

King Tappa - 9 To 5

10

5

25

TOP 20 IMPACT OF THE WEEK:


RICK STRICKLAND and LESA HUDSON

"Got it Right (The First Time)"

(Single Only)

2

6

16

Rev. Bubba D. Liverance and the Cornhole Prophets - Ti Ta Ti Ta Ti Ta Ta

3

7

4

Blake Shelton - No Body

15

8

20

MOVER OF THE WEEK:


MILEY CYRUS

"Flowers"

Album: Endless Summer Vacation

3

9

6

Deb Browning and  Six Piece Suits - It Don't Get Better Than This

13

10

8

Tennis - One Night With the Valet

5

11

5

Maneskin - The Loneliest

10

12

10

Sharon Van Etten - Mistakes

27

13

7

Jennifer Cintron - Run

16

14

13

The Weeknd - Die For You

13

15

19

Danielle Ponder - The Only Way Out

8

16

11

Alvvays - Easy On Your Own

15

17

12

Rick Strickland - You're the One For Me

14

18

15

Giant Rooks - Morning Blue

9

19

22

Young the Giant - The Walk Home

8

20

17

Deb Browning - 3 More Minutes

34

21

23

Taylor Swift - Anti- Hero

11

22

28

Lainey Wilson - Heart Like a Truck

8

23

48

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Burning

2

24

21

Steve Lacy - Bad Habit

18

25

26

Rihanna - Lift Me Up

11

26

14

Wet Leg - Wet Dream

13

27

18

Juliet Callahan - Burning

20

28

24

Carolina Dreamers - Hey Girl Hey Boy

17

29

40

Ria Mae - The Old Me

3

30

27

Santigold - Shake

8

31

29

Carolina Coast Band ft Rhonda McDaniel - The Thing About You

28

32

31

Keith Urban - Texas Time

11

33

30

Starbuck -You're the Reason

17

34

39

Dave Guetta and Bebe Rexha - I'm Good (Blue)

7

35

32

Elton John and Britney Spears -Hold Me Closer

16

36

47

Carly Pearce - What He Didn't Do

3

37

41

Blink-182 - Edging

9

38

43

Caroline Rose - Love/Lover/Friend

7

39

33

beabadoobee - 10:36

7

40

45

Red Hot Chili Peppers - The Drummer

5

41

50

Juliet Callahan - Spotlight

3

42

59

The Heavy Heavy - Miles and Miles

2

43

36

Carolina Blue Dots - Cruzin' Down the Boulevard

20

44

52

K.Flay - It's Been So Long

3

45

38

Mitski - Should've Been Me

12

46

44

Randy Clay Band - Carolina Night

16

47

54

Rosa Linn - Snap

3

48

35

Ryan Chatelain - Static

16

49

37

Doyle Wood and Sylvia Johns Ritchie - Not Tonight (I Have a Heartache)

18

50

53

Harry Styles - As It Was

38

51

42

Taylor Swift ft. Lana Del Rey - Snow on the Beach

7

52

46

Sam Hunt - 23

33

53

 ---

TOP DEBUT:


GARY LOWDER and SMOKIN' HOT

"Don't Let Her Go"

(Single Only)

1

54

63

The Moss - Insomnia

3

55

68

Ava Max - Million Dollar Baby

2

56

49

The Black Keys - It Ain't Over

27

57

--- 

Avril Lavigne ft. YUNGBLUD - I'm A Mess

1

58

51

Lovelytheband - Sail Away

16

59

72

Meghan Trainor - Made You Look

2

60

--- 

Tim Izzard - Walk the Walk

1

61

69

The Heaterz - Don't Fault Me Baby

2

62

--- 

I-42 Band - Atlantic Beach Days

1

63

67

Rubblebucket - Geometry

3

64

74

Lady Gaga- Bloody Mary

2

65

58

Scooter Lee - Shama Lama Ding Dong

13

66

64

Cole Swindell - She Had Me at Heads Carolina

14

67

76

Selena Gomez - My Mind and Me

2

68

--- 

Sylvia Johns Ritchie - Lovin' My Blues Away

1

69

 ---

Carolina Dreamers - New Shoes, Let's Go Dancing

1

70

71

Luke Combs - The Kind of Love We Make

13

71

82

Beyonce - Cuff It

2

72

81

Pink - Never Not Gonna Dance Again

9

73

 ---

Hozier - Swan Upon Leda

1

74

34

Deb Browning - Here Comes Amazon

9

75

--- 

Dijon - Many Times

1

76

57

Lesa Hudson - Breathless

34

77

62

Steve Shouse - Back to 69

17

78

 ---

Phoenix - Winter Solstice

1

79

66

Jim Quick and Coastline - Sadie Mae

15

80

56

The Holiday Band - Big Bad Batch of the Blues

10

81

75

Panic! At the Disco - Don't Let the Light Go Out

16

82

79

Fitz and the Tantrums - Moneymaker

15

83

90

Tim Izzard - The Night I Played Ziggy's Guitar

27

84

55

Elizabeth Chan - Merry Merry

8

85

61

Too Much Sylvia - It Still is Christmas

4

86

70

OneRepublic - I Ain't Worried

20

87

91

Wayne Free - Tequila On Ice

29

88

60

Deb Browning - All Over the World

7

89

65

Lindsey Sterling - Joy to the World

7

90

73

Lauren Spencer Smith - Single on the 25th

6

91

77

Øff Guard - October

10

92

78

Orbis Max with Tim Izzard - Elvis Has Left the Building

20

93

80

David F. Porfirio - Random Stranger

15

94

83

Weezer - Records

20

95

84

Dacey - Stepmom

5

96

85

The AZIZ Project - Time to Forget You Again

17

97

86

beebadoobie - The Perfect Pair

17

98

87

Alvvays - Belinda Says

12

99

88

Sia - Unstoppable

34

100

89

Kelly Clarkson and Ariana Grande - Santa Can't You Hear Me

6









No comments:

Post a Comment