Saturday, April 10, 2021

Is Music from 20 Years Ago More Forgettable than that of 50 Years Ago? (SNS week of 4/4/2021)

 If you probably don't know by now, I love to document things, especially music.    I have been making lists of my top songs each year since 1976 (except for a gap between 2004 and 2008, which I'll shortly fill in).   Recently, I went back and compiled lists of music from my formative years from 1964 to 1976, and made playlists for most of those.     Thus, except for that five year gap in the middle of the 2000's, I have a record of the best songs I listened to for the most part of 55 years.    The older lists I still have on notebook paper, while the newer lists are online via spreadsheet.     Except for one that I couldn't find.

The year 2001 brought tragedy and subsequent patriotism, but does anyone remember the music that came out that year?


That would be 2001.   I know I had made a list of those songs, but I have no idea where I put it.   That was the year I got a computer so it was basically a "transitional" year, and somehow got lost in the shuffle.    And no, I can't really go back and recreate it either as it was pretty much a "snapshot" of a time in my life.   But back then, I did something at the end of each year:  Made "countdown" tapes of my top 100 of the year, playing deejay and recapping all the events--world and personal---that took place in a particular year.    I did this from 1984 all the way to 2002, but like much of my stuff, it's been sitting in the basement gathering dust.

Well, I got out my tapes from 2001 with the intention on playing them and making a new spreadsheet of the songs that I had liked back then.   But, it came with a price.

I am 64 years old.    A baby boomer.    There's an adage that one could remember what they were doing 50 years ago but can't remember what they did yesterday.    Well, that applies to music too.    And granted, much of the music of the 1960's  that I listened to was popular nationally, constantly played on the radio, and which everyone remembers.     By 2001 that was a different story.  Even then, little of what was on my list for that year was well known, although for that moment in time, it was a soundtrack.    

And while I could rattle off a sixties or seventies song even from the opening notes, even remembering what I had listened to twenty years ago was a hardship.    I guess the good thing about that is, when I played the tapes, it felt like I was listening for the first time.    While I am no Casey Kasem, or Dan Ingram,  I think I did a decent job at the mic. Of course I would announce the songs when I played them, but I would often back announce, often playing several songs before I would say who did them.  By the way, if there is any interest in my deejaying ability, I'll post a sound check upon request!

And while some of these songs and artists were vaguely memorable, some completely left me clueless.    SoulDecision?   Sister Soliel?   Sugarbomb?  Huh?    I resorted to SoundHound to identify some of these song as well as the artists to did them, but in many cases that app couldn't give me a clue.    I even had to resort to Googling some of the lyrics to get the song and artist.   Luckily all of them had videos on YouTube so that made it easier.     By the time I got into the Top 10, I knew all the songs, but didn't know where they "placed".

So, do those songs from twenty years ago have a shelf life?  Hard to say.   Rock was still a viable popular genre as Billboard's number one song for that year was "Hanging by a Moment" by Lifehouse, which didn't make my countdown at all (another song by that band, "Breathing", made the list).   

However, five artists who were on the list appear on my current SNS 100 playlist:  The Avalanches, Blake Shelton, his future significant other Gwen Stefani, Weezer, and The Offspring, plus two others, The Strokes and New Order, who were on the list recently.    There were two remakes of 1960's hits, "Stoned Soul Picnic" by Jill Sobule, and Smash Mouth's "I'm A Believer" which was from the original Shrek move released that year.    Bands who were popular on alternative radio like the aforementioned Smash Mouth, Sugar Ray, 311 and Our Lady Peace were on the list, as were 1990's faves like Stone Temple Pilots,  Collective Soul, and Cake.   U2 had the most songs on the list, with three.  Only three artists who were around before 1980 were here:  Elton John's "I Want Love" at #80; Aerosmith's "Jaded" at #66, and John Mellencamp (his first top 40 hit was late 1979), with "Peaceful World", which features India.arie), at #28.    As it was the year of 9/11, there was patriotism in the U.S., and Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA", released back in the 1984, made the list at #69.   Nu Metal still thrived with bands like Staind, and Limp Bizkit but those songs were relatively muted in decibels.   Many of the songs on the list still rocked out though.   

Here were my top ten songs of 2001, along with a few other notable songs.

Rap rockers Crazy Town had my #1 song of 2001 with "Butterfly"

1. "Butterfly", Crazy Town

While I've often been concerned that the current Billboard alternative list has been taken over by hip-hop influences such as Glass Animals and Machine Gun Kelly, I'm reminded that there was a lot of it back then as well.    At the time it was called "rap rock", and was prevalent.   Such as the case with this catchy song, which also went to #1 on Billboard (and #29 on its year-end list).   The song is rapped to a catchy backing track that I come back to time and again.   The band was a one hit wonder, as they didn't hit the Hot 100 after that, but apparently are still together.    Still love the song twenty years later. 

2. "Frontier Psychiatrist". The Avalanches

It's hard to believe but this rather novelty song by this Aussie contingent was all made up of samples.  It was the soundtrack of sorts to our 2001-02 ski season as it was played frequently on WEQX out of Manchester, Vermont.   It was from the album Since I Left You, released in 2000.   While it did not chart either on Billboard's Hot 100 nor even the alternative chart, several stations played it, and it has become somewhat of a cult classic.    In fact, the song appeared the following year on my list for 2002 at #7, making it one of three songs to accomplish the feat on my year-end lists, joining "Disappear" by INXS (1990-91), and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana (1991-92).  

What's more intriguing about this group is that their follow-up didn't come until 2016's Wildflower.  That yielded the blog top ten "Frankie Sinatra".   Their third album, released last year, We Will Always Love You has yielded two blog hits: "Wherever You Go" (#8) and their current single  "The Divine Chord", moving up to #14 this week.

3. "Boss of Me", They Might Be Giants

Long before AJR, there was this quirky duo called They Might Be Giants, formed in Brooklyn in the 1980's.   They were pretty big in the early 1990's, and made the alternative chart many times the first half of the decade.  They recruited several additional members and became a full fledged self-contained band that made my year-end lists several times between 1990 and 1994.    But grunge, post-grunge and harder alternative rock supplanted them and the successes stopped coming.    The band composed and performed this theme from the sitcom Malcolm in the Middle, and got some airplay on WEQX.    The song in its entirety is pretty hard to find as I couldn't find it on Amazon or iTunes.   But it's a gem.

4. "Island in the Sun", Weezer

One of the bands that has consistent successes since then ("All My Favorite Songs" is currently #1 on Triple-A and #58 this week on my blog).    Rivers Cuomo has reinvented this Los Angeles-based band many times.  This is one of my favorite tracks by them, and it comes from one of many eponymous albums by the band, identified only by the color of the cover.   In this case, it was from the Green Album.

5. "Imitation of Life", R.E.M.

The Athens, Ga. based band has been a long favorite, from when I first heard them in 1984, to 1991 when they had my #1 song in "Shiny Happy People", and all the way to the blog era when their farewell song "We All Go Back to Where We Belong" which hit #1 on the blog at the end of 2011.   Long past their commercial peak in the early 90's, and reduced to a trio, the band still labored on, producing this sweet, mellow track from that year's Reveal.

6. "Start the Commotion", The Wiseguys

I just featured this pseudo-instrumental song on my blog two weeks ago (which in part brought me here).  At the time, I said this came in at #12 on my list, but I took a wild guess since I didn't have my list.   Well, it was actually half that.   As I learned from my tape, the song came out a few years earlier but its inclusion in a Mitsubishi commercial brought it renewed success.  The band hailed from London in the UK, and was a great example of Electronica.  Sadly, the band split that same year.

7. "One More Time", Daft Punk

Speaking of electronic music, this offbeat duo form Paris, France originally scored with this one.  This song peaked at #61 on the Hot 100 but #1 on the Dance chart.   After a few more EDM hits, they seemed to disappear, only to resurface in the 2010's, namely with "Get Lucky", which featured Pharrell Williams, peaking on both the Hot 100 and my blog at #2.  They also reached my playlist as featured on two The Weeknd songs.   Unfortunately the band called it quits earlier this year in 2021. 

8. "Only Time", Enya

In contrast to much of the other songs on my list, this song by this Irish singer, originally from the band Clannad, became a hit in the wake of 9/11.  Released the year before, it was remixed in the wake of the tragedy and became her only U.S. top 10 song.    

9. "Catch the Sun", Doves

Band is from Manchester, England, UK, and this came from their debut, Lost Souls.   It received alternative radio play, and was a ski house favorite.   The band split in 2010, only to reform in 2018.

10. "Days of the Week", Stone Temple Pilots

STP, fronted by Scott Weiland and including two Jersey boys, brothers Dean and Robert DeLeo, after a lot of success in the 1990's (including my #1 song of 1994, "Big Empty"), had a resurgence in 2000 when "Sour Girl" off their fourth album No. 4 duplicated that #1 year-end success that year (becoming one of only four acts to do that on my lists dateing back to 1964).   The band released their fifth album that year, Shangri La-De-Da, which yielded this song.   The band split after that and Weiland fronted Velvet Revolver for a bit before reforming STP in 2010.   Their self-titled album released that year yielded three blog top 20 singles.  Sadly, personal and drug problems resulted in Weiland being fired from the band, and eventually he died from an overdose in 2015.   Chester Bennington briefly took over as lead singer for an EP, apart from his fronting Linkin Park (on my 2001 list with "In the End", #41) before he took his own life.  STP is still around, with new lead singer Jeff Gutt, but has fallen off the radar; their 2019 effort Perdida didn't chart nor did any of its tracks.

Here are some other interesting inclusions on my list.

11. "Austin", Blake Shelton

This entry surprised me in several ways when I listened to my tape.   First of all, I wasn't a big country music fan at the time, so it was a surprise that I ranked it that high.  But apparently, it was there because I was dating, at the time, a big country music fan (she was from Texas), and she took me to see Tim McGraw and Kenny Chesney play at the PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel, NJ.   She apparently loved this song, this artists' debut.    Of course, Shelton is still a big star, prominently featured on The Voice, and is a blog regular, with ten entries including "Happy Anywhere" at #87 this week.   

35. "Southside" Moby featuring Gwen Stefani, and  74. "Hey Baby", No Doubt

Long before her and Blake became an "item", Gwen Stefani had much success both with her band No Doubt and solo.    Aside from her band entry and her featured on the Moby song, she had the #7 Billboard song that year featured on Eve's single "Let Me Blow Ya Mind"

40. "Sing", Travis

Travis were and are a Scottish band that had some alternative success in the early 2000's, including two song on my 2001 list. Several years later, the song was prominently featured in the sitcom The Office with the romance between characters Jim Halpert and Pam Beesly.

84. "Fallin'", Alicia Keys

This song, her debut, hit #1 on Billboard's Hot 100 and was #2 for that year.  Like Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani, she would later be a coach on The Voice, and would have additional hits like "No One", "My Boo", and featured on Jay-Z's "Empire State of Mind".


FLEETING SUCCESS:  Fleet Foxes grab their first blog #1 as "Sunblind" just edges out Anna Lavigne's "Every kind of heaven" for the top spot.   The Seattle-based band has been near the top of my playlist before, but tops the list this go-round.   The song is the second single from their album Shore, the first, "Can I Believe You", reached #8 here.    Ms. Lavigne's song is still bulleted, however, and could take back the top spot next week (especially since I garnered no likes from the Fleet Foxes song).   Incidentally, Anna and Martin Stephenson did a live Facebook broadcast from their living room last weekend.   While much of the performances were by Martin, Anna did put in a few words as well as a shout-out to yours truly.   Thank you, Anna!    For me, the highlight of the hour was her and Martin doing her big blog hit.

Those two songs are well ahead of the pack.   Tinkers Lane inches back up to number 3, switching places with David F. Porfirio.   Boy Pablo moves 8 to 5 with "Hey Girl", but is still well behind the leaders.   Of note is the 11-6 move by Einstein's Dad's "OMT"; it's Tom Corea's third configuration that has reached the blog top 10, following The Hounds of Winter and Bad Attitude.

The second ten is less stagnant than the first ten, with New Jersey's Oneiric moving 25-15 to grab Impact honors, just nosing out Jade Bird's "Open Up the Heaven".   Winnetka Bowling League has yet another top 20 blog hit as "Romantic Way" rises 27-20.  The Weeknd's "Save Your Tears", thanks to friend Gail Bradley's post, moves 18-13.   In the middle of the pack, LP is a big mover with "How Low Can You Go" which gets Mover honors with a 74-44 rise.  Also on the move are Quarters of Change, Lauren Davidson (who also did a Facebook live session last Friday), and Tim Izzard.

NEW:  Seven adds this week, topped by "Sinking Feeling" by Waaves, a San Diego band that had one previous blog song:  "Demon to Lean On" which reached #27 in a 23-week run.   It's a rather raw-ish, pop-rock confection that is pretty tasty.   One that has potential.   Next is "Hardcore Happy" by a female singer just known as The Blossom, which is no relation to the British  band Blossoms of "At Most a Kiss" fame, or for that matter, the 1960's girl group The Blossoms of Darlene Love fame.   This song can be described as a heavy version of Billie Eilish's styled songs.   May be a wait and see on this one.   Kaleo, the Icelandic duo still known for their 2016 year-end blog #1 "Way Down We Go" is back with "Break My Baby" which is a stripped down acoustic guitar and harmonica song with vocals.   Rather soulful, it could be their biggest since that hit.   Jon Batiste is an accomplished musician who is featured on The Late Show with Stephan Colbert, but since I don't watch that show, it's the first time I've heard of him.  The song, "I Need Ya" is in the top 10 on the Triple-A chart.  It's a rather jazzy, soulful, clap along and dance, good timey song, rather offbeat but different enough to score.  Nice one.   Dinosaur Jr, which has been around since the 1980's and scored some Alternative hits in the 90's, namely "Feel the Pain", and more recently the top 5 blog hit "Tiny" in 2016, have returned with "I Ran Away", decidedly in a more country-rock direction than previous outings.  Finally, Manchester Orchestra and Lord Huron debut with "Bed Head" and "Not Dead Yet", respectively.   Both had previously done well on the blog playlist; both are well up the alternative charts.

SHOWS:  With the warmer weather and the easing of COVID (yours truly got his first shot last week), artists are planning some shows.    The online performances still continue, but some of the blog's favorite artists are planning some live performances.   April 9 (last night as I am writing this), C. Lynne Smith performed down in Stone Harbor's The Reeds at Shelter Haven SAX Lounge.   Ms. Smith, who scored here last year with the top 3 "Real" from a 15-year old debut record, hopes to have new music out soon.     Coming up:  Gia Walton Ness will be playing the weekend of May 8-9 at the Walkway Over the Hudson in Highland, NY.    Lauren Davidson will be at New York City's Joanne Trattoria for an acoustic performance on April 17, which will include some new music and covers.

New Jersey's Madison Pisani has been performing in the North Jersey area since 2018, is set to release some originals.

UPCOMING:   Keep your eyes on a local talent, North Jersey singer named Madison Pisani.  She is performing on April 10 (tonight as I write this) at Patrick's Pub in Hopatcong NJ.   While she has been performing mostly covers for a couple years in my area, it appears she may release some original material soon.    You heard it here first.

And finally, due to come out later today (April 10) is a new long-await, single (presumably) by ScreenAge.  The band, fronted by Emily MacMahon which had last year's #1 blog song, has released some snippet teasers over the past few days.   From those that I heard, this is a killer track, which no doubt will have a high debut.  I am personally excited for it! Stay tuned!


Scenes ‘n’ Soundwaves 100 Playlist

April 4, 2021


This Week

Last Week

ARTIST-Title

Weeks on List

1

2

NUMBER ONE:


FLEET FOXES

"Sunblind"

Album: Shore

6

2

1

Anna Lavigne - Every Kind of Heaven

6

3

4

Tinkers Lane - Honey Honey

14

4

3

David F. Porfirio - That Night on Bergenline Avenue

11

5

8

Boy Pablo - Hey Girl

8

6

11

Einstein's Dad - OMT

11

7

7

Frances Forever - Space Girl

11

8

9

Illiterate Light ft. Devon Gilfillan - Freedom

12

9

5

Emily MacMahon - Only Us

14

10

13

Maybird - Dreamcatcher

10

11

6

Aaron Frazer - Over You

13

12

10

Jade Bird - Headstart

20

13

18

The Weeknd - Save Your Tears

9

14

16

The Avalanches - The Divine Chord

8

15

25

TOP 20 IMPACT OF THE WEEK:

ONEIRIC

"The Ride"

(Single Only)

5

16

24

Jade Bird - Open Up the Heavens

4

17

19

Tytillidie - Doomsday

7

18

12

Bryan Hansen Band - Waiting For Tomorrow

12

19

17

Future Islands - Plastic Beach

10

20

27

Winnetka Bowling League - Romantic Way

5

21

26

The Offspring - Let the Bad Times Roll

5

22

14

Kings of Leon- The Bandit

11

23

15

The Mystery Lights - It's Alright

19

24

30

Øff Guard - Sincere

5

25

29

Delacey - Unlovable

14

26

32

Babeheaven - Human Nature

7

27

20

Surfer Blood - Parkland (Into the Silence)

13

28

21

Molly Burch ft. Wild Nothing - Emotion

14

29

31

Sunflower Bean - Moment in the Sun

10

30

22

Iration - Coastin

12

31

34

Midnight Sister - Foxes

7

32

33

Glass Animals - Heat Waves

13

33

28

Taylor Swift ft The National - Coney Island

9

34

42

Valerie June ft Carla Thomas - Call Me a Fool

4

35

39

David F. Porfirio - Self-Portrait

4

36

23

Kitten  - What Year Are We In

14

37

38

Beebadoobee - Charlie Brown

8

38

48

Fablers and Comet ft. Matt Weiss - Be Okay

3

39

40

Harry Styles - Golden

12

40

41

Machine Gun Kelly ft Blackbear- My Ex's Best Friend

5

41

43

Two Feet - Think I'm Crazy

9

42

36

Bakar - 1st Time

21

43

35

Gwen Stefani - Let Me Reintroduce Myself

17

44

74

MOVER OF THE WEEK:

LP

"How Low Can You Go"

(Single Only)

2

45

45

Foo Fighters - Waiting On a War

6

46

62

Lauren Davidson - Backfire

3

47

55

The Neighbourhood - Stargazing

6

48

50

Black Coffee ft. Maxine Ashley and Sun El Musician - You Need Me

9

49

57

The Blue Stones - Spirit

3

50

68

Elle King and Miranda Lambert - Drunk (And I Don'tWant to Go Home)

2

51

37

James Hunter Six - I Can Change Your Mind

18

52

52

Phoebe Ryan - Fantasy

6

53

58

Gia Ness ft. Cameron Ness - Love Song

4

54

59

Civic - Radiant Eye

4

55

56

Nathaniel Rateliff - Redemption

6

56

87

Quarters of Change - Cyclone Trip

4

57

65

AJR - Way Less Sad

3

58

61

Weezer - All My Favorite Songs

10

59

82

Tim Izzard - Night Nurse

2

60

44

Olivia Rodrigo - Drivers License

8

61

49

Clairo - Sofia

10

62

72

Lake Street Dive - Hypotheticals

2

63

47

The Black Keys - Keep My Name Outta Your Mouth

12

64

54

Miley Cyrus - Midnight Sky

29

65

51

Elise Farnsworth - Pixie Dust

20

66

67

Haim ft. Taylor Swift - Gasoline

7

67

89

Kylie V - On My Mind

2

68

76

Tune-Yards - Hold Yourself

3

69

70

The Happy Fits - Hold Me Down

7

70

77

Carole's Daughter - Violent

5

71

84

Darius Rucker - Beers and Sunshine

2

72

--- 

TOP DEBUT:


WAVVES

"Sinking Feeling"

(Single Only)

1

73

46

I Don't Know How But They Found Me - Leave Me Alone

13

74

79

Dua Lipa - We're Good

3

75

88

Amy Shark - All The Lies About Me

4

76

91

Taylor Swift - Willow

2

77

66

Paul McCartney - Find My Way

11

78

53

Ed Sheeran - Afterglow

14

79

64

TV Priest - This Island

4

80

--- 

Kaleo - Break My Baby

1

81

--- 

The Blossom - Hardcore Happy

1

82

60

Cold War Kids - 1 X 1

11

83

 

Jon Batiste  - I Need Ya

1

84

85

Awolnation - Radical

11

85

--- 

Dinosaur Jr - I Ran Away

1

86

--- 

Manchester Orchestra -  Bed Head

1

87

69

Blake Shelton ft. Gwen Stefani - Happy Anywhere

15

88

86

Baio - Dead  Hand Control

5

89

--- 

Lord Huron - Not Dead Yet

1

90

71

Shannon Marsyada - The Road

16

91

78

Sports Team - Fishing

7

92

95

Baby Strange - More! More! More!

9

93

63

Ariel Pink - Crybaby

13

94

73

Kjband - Rock Star

13

95

92

The Killers - C'est La Vie

3

96

80

Temples - Paraphenalia

7

97

90

Miley Cyrus ft. Dua Lipa - Prisoner

17

98

94

Porter Robinson - Look at the Sky

5

99

75

Cannons - Fire For You

16

100

81

Gia Ness ft Ariel Walton - Across the Universe

19


 

Songs with the greatest increase in favorite points over the prior week.   Songs with 25 or more plays on iTunes/iPods ▲   Songs with 50 or more plays.


No comments:

Post a Comment