Saturday, January 12, 2019

Top100 of 2018

Note:  This blog entry was previously posted on a Facebook note on January 9.

If there was ever a year in music that you could consider “lost”, it had to be 2018.  I’ve been following the music scene for the better past of six decades now and in this year just gone by, I’m pretty baffled by what has passed for popular music in 2018.    Granted, there’s always something decent to listen to, and as they say, you have to dig a little deeper these days to find it.    Trouble is, at the rate we’re going, we’re likely to strike the motherlode before we find something great to listen to. I should correct that to say, “something great to listen to that becomes popular”.  Too often than not, an artist will blow me away with an awesome sounding debut, only to cater more to the pop mainstream (and then landing success) with more, diluted, efforts. Since 1976, I have been making lists of my top 100 songs of every year, as an alternative to those surveys published by radio stations, Billboard Magazine or many of the music journals and publications.    It’s been an interesting ride, to say the least, and if anything, it documents my own personal tastes, as well as tracking the pop culture trends.   Which brings me to my top 100 of 2018.   I made lists from 1976 to 2003, and then again from 2009 to the present.  Recently I had gone back and retroactively created lists from 1964 to 1974, with the intention of formulating ones for 1975 and the “lost years” of 2004 through 2008.   But, pending anything unusual during the middle portion of the millenium’s initial decade, something has happened for the first time:     My #1 song was never found on any chart,  was from an album which was released two years prior that never charted, and is by an artist that never charted anything in this country and only was listed as a featured performer on the French charts. My #1 song of 2018?  “Straight Love Affair” , by Nick Waterhouse
.    There, I said it. Yeah, pretty much, I marched (or in this case, listened) to the beat of a different drummer in 2018, vitually ignoring anything on the pop side.    While three of my year-end #1 songs also had that distinction in Billboard, only one of that magazine’s chart toppers, Ed Sheeran’s “Perfect”, made my list this year, coming in at #24. In fact, taking my year-end lists from the reconstruction in 2009 to the present, three of my year-end leaders:  Adele’s “Rolling in the Deep” (2011), Gotye’s “Someone That I Used to Know” (2012), and Ed Sheeran’s “Shape of You” not only held the top spot on Billboard’s weekly “Hot 100”, but also held honors for the year.   Sheeran’s “Thinking Out Loud” (2015) was the runner-up on Billboard that year.    Five others---Metric’s ‘Help I’m Alive” (2009), The Black Keys’ “Tighten Up” (2010); Fitz and the Tantrums’ “Out of My League” (2013), and Kaleo’s ‘Way Down We Go” (2016) weren’t pop hits, but nonetheless hit #1 on Billboard’s “Alternative Songs” chart.  Foster The People’s “Coming of Age” (2014) hit #4 on that chart .   But “Straight Love Affair” is nowhere to be found. So, you may ask, “what’s it doing on my list?”, much less, “why is it number one?”.    That answer goes back to early 2017, when dining at a local Applebees, a really cool, retro-sounding song came on:  “It’s Time”.   Sound Hounding the song, I found out that the artist was Nick Waterhouse and Googling him, discovered it was from his third album, 2016’s Never Twice.    The song contended for my 2017 “Song of the Summer” and came in at #3 on my 2017 list.   I then explored more of the album, with more great songs:  “Old Place”, “Katchi” (#22 this year), and “Straight Love Affair”.  The sound just meshed with what had been going on this past summer, and it won a close battle for the top spot.   A similar trick happened this year for my #4 song:  “This Girl” by Kungs featuring Cooking on 3 Burners.   Another 2016 song, it blared on the speakers in early June, when several of us headed down the Jersey Shore to Martell’s Tiki Bar.   Again, using SoundHound, I discovered this cool gem. But, if I’m accused of living in the past, it’s not entirely true.  My #2 and #3 songs were from 2018 albums:  Neko Case’s “Bad Luck” (from Hell-On)  and Elle King’s “Shame” (from Shake the Spirt).  Both artists have made my year end top 10 before:  King’s “Ex’s and Oh’s” was #2 in 2015; Case’s ‘People Got a Lot of Nerve” was #8 in 2010. Rounding out the top 5 is an new artist from New Jersey, Donna Missal, whose “Keep Lying” made some inroads.   The artist, who is a niece of a friend, had the song on alternative station WEQX’s playlist for three months, although sadly, the song didn’t make that station’s “Top 102.7” nor hit a Billboard chart.    With Tennis’ “Modern Woman”, another act that has yet to chart, and from a prior year album, at #6 , that makes four songs in my top six that didn’t have that distinction this year as I continue to move away from the mainstream. But, there WERE in fact, pop songs on my list.  Aside from the Sheeran song, Camila Cabello’s “Never Been the Same”  (#94), and alternative crossovers Imagine Dragons’ “Natural” (#68) and Panic! at the Disco’s “High Hopes” (a late entry on the list at #95).  Of course a good portion of my songs were alternative rock hits: “Walk the Moon”  (One Foot); “No Roots” (Alice Merton); “Live In the Moment” (Portugal. The Man); “I Feel Like I’m Drowning” (Two Feet); “Africa”(Weezer), and the aforementioned “High Hopes”, all made the list, as well as Billboard’s #1 alternative song for 2018, lovelytheband’s “Broken” (#44). However, it is beginning to seem that I have now more in common with the “Adult Alternative Songs” chart (which actually makes sense since I, at 62, is...well...an adult!). Number one songs on that chart that made my list include “Lay It On Me” (Vance Joy); “Pain” (The War on Drugs); “You Worry Me” (Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats); “Bad Bad News” (Leon Bridges); “Hunger” (Florence +the Machine); and “All My Friends” (The Revivalists), as well as the previous mentioned “Shame” and “Live in the Moment”. Three artists had three songs on my list:  the previously mentioned Tennis and Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats, and Hegazy.    The latter, a duo from Staten Island composed of twins Leila and Omnia Hegazy, released their debut EP in early 2018, and made the list with three songs from it:  “Smolder” (#25), the currently topical  “Here to Stay” (#40) and “Alive” (#47).   The twins are the nieces of my Roselle Park friend Diane Tarantino Hegazy, as well as Facebook friends of mine in their own right. Another Facebook friend, Hazelton PA’’s Shannon Marsyada, also made my year end list with “Tough Girl” (#37).    Other artists that I had been following that I had become acquainted with either from seeing them at festivals or recommended by friends who know them were The Big Takeover, The Doughboys, Winnetka Bowling League (featuring Matthew Koma), Christina Taylor, and Spinn. Those latter two acts were one of only three country songs this year, with the only established country artist that made the list being Jake Owen, with “I Was Jack (You Were Diane”), at #73. Here is my Top 100 list for 2018.   Note that this is NOT a list of the songs that were released in 2018, but what I was listening to during the course of the past twelve months; many of these songs came out in 2017, or earlier (such as the Nick Waterhouse and Kungs songs).  Click on the song to watch the video or, if none was available to the artists' website or Facebook page. Scenes 'n' Soundwaves Top 100 of 2018
1  
2  
Neko Case - Bad Luck
3  
Elle King - Shame
4  
Kungs vs Cookin' on 3 Burners - This Girl
5  
Donna Missal - Keep Lying
6  
Tennis - Modern Woman
7  
Florence + the Machine - Hunger
8  
King Princess - 1950
9  
The Regrettes - Come Through
10  
The Revivalists - All My Friends
11  
Portugal. The Man - Live In the Moment
12  
Real Estate - Time
13  
Two Feet - I Feel Like Drowning
14  
St. Paul and the Broken Bones - Apollo
15  
Curtis Harding - Need Your Love
16  
Alice Merton - No Roots
17  
James Hunter Six - I Don't Wanna Be Without You
18  
Tennis - My Emotions Are Blinding
19  
The Kooks - Four Leaf Clover
20  
Moon Taxi  - Two High
21  
Leon Bridges- Bad Bad News
22  
Nick Waterhouse f. Leon Bridges- Katchi
23  
Jeff Rosenstock - All This Useless Energy
24  
Ed Sheeran - Perfect
25  
Hegazy - Smolder
26  
James Bay - Pink Lemonade
27  
Vance Joy - Lay It On Me
28  
The Decemberists - Severed
29  
Curtis Harding - It's Not Over
30  
Weezer - Africa

31  
Franz Ferdinand -Paper Cages
32  
Courtney Barnett - Charity
33  

Lord Huron - Wait By the River
34  
The Heirs - Suburban Wonderland
35  
The War on Drugs - Pain
36  

The Big Takeover - Rainboots
37  
Shannon Marsyada - Tough Girl
38  
The Neighbourhood  -Scary Love
39  
Winnetka Bowling League  -On the 5
40  
Hegazy -Here To Stay

41  

Portugal. The Man - Tidal Wave
42  
Phillip Phillips - Magnetic
43  
Cigarettes After Sex - K
44  

Lovelytheband - Broken
45  
Christina Taylor - American Dreamin'
46  
Greta Van Fleet - When the Curtain Falls
47  
Hegazy - Alive
48  
Foster the People - I Love My Friends
49  
Spinn - Crazy For You
50  
Kurt Vile - Loading Zones
51  
Cold War Kids f. Bishop Briggs - So Tied Up
52  
Weezer - Happy Hour
53  
Cigarettes After Sex - Apocalypse
54  
Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats - You Worry Me
55  
Foster the People - Sit Next To Me
56  
Bleachers - I Miss Those Days
57  
Beck -Colors
58  
Florence + the Machine - Patricia
59  
The Palms - Don't Waste My Time
60  
Amy Shark - Adore
61  
The Neighbourhood - 24/7
62  
Caroline Rose - Jeannie Becomes a Mom
63  
Lord Huron - Never Ever
64  
Walk the Moon - One Foot
65  
Parquet Courts - Almost Had to Start a Fight
66  
Big Thief - Shark Smile
67  
Swimming With Bears - French Girls
68  
Imagine Dragons - Natural
69  
Rex Orange County - Loving Is Easy
70  

Interpol - The Rover
71  
Beach House - Lemon Glow
72  
The Vaccines - I Can't Quit
73  
Jake Owen - I Was Jack (You Were Diane)
74  
Lucius - Neighbors
75  
AJR - Burn the House Down
76  
Tennis - No Exit
77  
Cold War Kids - Can We Hang On?
78  
Anna Calvi - Don't Beat The Girl Out of my Boy
79  
Vance Joy - Saturday Sun
80  
Santigold - Run the Road
81  
Iration - Press Play
82  
Greeting Committee - 17
83  
Halo Circus - Narcissist
84  
Ed Sheeran - Happier
85  
Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats - A Little Honey
86  
Jeff Rosenstock - 9/10
87  
Django Django - In Your Beat
88  
The Essex Green - Smith & 9th
89  
Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats f. Lucius - Coolin' Out
90  
Alice Merton - Lash Out
91  
Metric - Dark Saturday
92  
Jessica Lea Mayfield - Sorry Is Gone
93  
The Decemberists - Suckers Prayer
94  
Camila Cabello - Never Be the Same
95  
Lake Street Dive - Good Kisser
96  
Panic at the Disco - High Hopes
97  
The Doughboys - Sink or Swim
98  
Middle Kids - Mistake
99  
The Killers - Run For Cover
100  
The War on Drugs - Holding On

No comments:

Post a Comment