Sunday, November 17, 2013

What Do The Friends Say? (SNS 11/17/2013)

PUBLIC OPINION:    I take some pride in what I post on my blog, and I've been going at it for more than three years.     I try to supplement it occasionally by posting current songs which lie within the 100+ plus songs that I listen to week after week.   on Facebook, I usually post oldies, but will feature a new song or two, along with my #1 song of the week, or my Pick of the Week, which is either the Top Debut, or a highest new ranking song that I added in a given week (they're sometimes not the same, such as this week, where Ylvis' "The Fox" is the Top Debut, but since it was on my Tremors list, it doesn't count...this week it belongs to "Love Don't Die" by The Fray).

Usually once a month I will count down my top ten songs, or sometimes more.  I get some scattered reactions to it from friends who do love to check out new stuff.    This past week, I decided to go for broke and count down my top twenty.   My original intention was to do the whole thing in one night.   I really don't like to post all those songs on my timeline and clutter it up.     Two years ago, I created a page called "Scenes 'n'Soundwaves" which I intended on using to promote my blog.    Unfortunately, I could only muster up 11 likes on it.    Then sometime in 2012 I introduced "Scenes n' Soundwaves Music Page", where I can post songs, and get feedback from those on the page, and use it as a forum for discussing music new and old.   It took off at first, but by early this year, mostly from the introduction of a tribute page for legendary rock station WNEW-FM, it's been largely unused this year.

So it was back to my own page to post and got some good reaction.   But for some reason, perhaps it was too late at night, I posted #20 thru #15.   The list included Those Darlins, Wild Belle, Blake Shelton, Capital Cities and The Veils.  All but Blake Shelton and Capital Cities had previous #1 songs on my blog.  But still they were largely unknown.   The only reaction was, no unexpectedly, to Shelton, an established country star, who has now gained fame as a coach on The Voice.   The primary argument with the post was that the person who responded liked Blake, long before the Voice and would not watch the show, largely because these "music reality shows" have been burned out for a while now, specifically American Idol (thoughts on that later).     None of the other songs got a reaction, surprisingly Capital Cities, whose "Safe and Sound" made Billboard's Top 10.

Tuesday, I went to post #15 to #11.  The list included Smith Westerns, Matthew Koma, The Foals, Katy Perry, and Tame Impala.   I delivered shout-outs for the Koma and Tame Impala songs which were introduced to me (Meg Hunsicker and Gianni Piacentini, respectively).    As you'd expect, the Perry song drew the most reaction, both positive and negative.   The topic concerned the state of pop music these days, and the reason my contemporaries don't listen to it.    I had suggested that great new music is there, but you're not going to listen to it on the radio.    Luckily there are other venues to listen: Satellite Radio, audio streaming services, and many websites dealing with up-and-coming artists.    They may likely never make the Hot 100, but there is a great alternative if you seek it out.     Brian Sniatkowski did provide a response to Foals, a band that has been played on alternative radio in the past as well as the current "My Number", a song, which, along with recent stuff like Bruno Mars' "Treasure", and recent works by Mayer Hawthorne and others, has that disco/funk throwback late-70's sound to it.  

Wednesday, I counted down #10 to #6.  Portugal. the Man, Golden Void, Wild Belle (again), Robin Thicke and Field Mouse.    As you'd expect, Thicke's "Blurred Lines" got the most reaction, having been #1 nationally for most of the summer.   The song has recently been under attack for its similarity to Marvin Gaye's #1 song from 1977, "Got to Give It Up", and a lawsuit was filed by the late Motown great's family.  The case is still pending in court.   My friend George Kupper posted a mash-up of the two songs, presumably as an indication of its similarity.   Not surprisingly, opinion were on the side of Gaye.  None of the other, obscure songs got any mention during that evening.

Finally by Thursday it was time to countdown the top 5.  It included Lorde's current number one Billboard hit, "Royals", plus an album cut from Fitz and the Tantrums, and then Cage the Elephant, Terraplane Sun, and last week's number one "Head On" by Man Man.    Reaction?     Lorde got a like but that was it.   It was a pretty rough day at work for me on top of it all, so I vented.   Where are the music lovers?   Am I wasting my time putting this blog out every week?   I see many posts for new music (which I take consideration into incorporating my list each week), which I'm happy about....people are more than willing to look beyond the Top 40 and check out the cool indie bands out there.

That's not really different from when I grew up.    In High School, the Top 40 regulars were Tony Orlando and Dawn, Helen Reddy, John Denver and some other pop artists.    They are talented (more so than today's "stars"), but more often than not, we checked out the aforementioned WNEW-FM to get our cool music.     It's a bit more reaching today, but they exist.

Though I did not expect any reaction to my post, I got a got of it.     People taking note of the bands I feature and list.    They may not comment but they read and listen.  Wow.   "Keep on posting" is what they're saying.  I have to admit that when I was "behind" a few weeks it wasn't fun, but the excitement of the weekend enables me to check out the new stuff and sharing it, is nice.   Thank you.   And keep on posting, featuring, and recommending new music.  I'll be listening.


I'M SORT OF EN-CAGED:  After several weeks in the top 3, Cage the Elephant's "Come A Little Closer" finally takes the top spot and coincides with Billboard's #1 position on the Alternative Chart.  The top 9 doesn't move, but Wild Belle now has two songs in the top 10 as "Backslider" joins "Keep You" up there, while "The Walker" joins "Keeping Our Eyes Out" by Fitz and the Tantrums in the top 20, and is the highest new entry there at #19.   Another alternative crossover to pop hit, Avicii's "Wake Me Up" is the only other new entry there.

I always keep an eye out on the current pop trends (sort of as a "place holder" for the current times), thus I had the aforemention "What Does the Fox Say" by Ylvis.  Like "Blurred Lines" and "Royals" it's got one of those catchy melodies and beats that you can't get out of your head.

WHO IS THE FAIREST RE-ENTRY OF ALL:   Leila Hegazy's "Mirror Mirror" had a nice top-10, 30-week run on SNS late last year and early this year, as my featured lead track from the singer-songwriters' first full-length album Looking Glass.   No single was ever announced, and thus I followed it with "Monday" and "The Reason Why".    A few weeks back, she announced that she has released an official video for "Mirror...." and thus re-enters my SNS 100.     Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for her sister Omnia's follow-up to her top 5 "Aziza" from her latest effort.    In the meantime, I'll comb her "Judgement Day" for some more featured tracks.

NEW AND NOTEWORTHY:  The Fray was one of those mainstream/crossover rock bands that had a few pop hits back when Top 40 actually played rock, but like their contemporaries such as Kings of Leon, their latest efforts have gone unnoticed outside of Adult Top 40 and rock stations.   "Love Don't Die" is from their upcoming fourth album Helios.  The first single comes across as trying to appeal to fans of everyone from Fall Out Boy, to Nine Inch Nails, with a nice melody thrown in for good measure.  "You Found Me" , it's not, but at this point in time, why bother.  It's a good song. 

Of a more obscure nature is "Cross My Mind" by Twin Forks.  The song is from their debut self-titled EP.  And no, they're not from Long Island but Boca Raton, Florida.   This one fits into the more Americana-indie folk genre that has been the trend the last couple of years.   Think of Mumford & Sons crossed with Of Monsters and Men and you have Twin Forks.   They are on tour and came by New York back in September and are currently touring Canada.

 As for the Top Debut, Ylvis, this is actually a Norwegian comedy duo whose song was posted on YouTube and went viral in September.   The song is #6 on Billboard's Hot 100 and is the biggest hit by a Norwegian act since "Take On Me" by a-ha in 1985.


HOLIDAY APPROACHING.  It's hard to believe, but Thanksgiving is less than two weeks away, and of course two things come to mind" Christmas songs and my year-end top 100.   I'm always wanting to hear who will come out with a holiday song that would light up  the season, and from who.    No standouts yet, although "Nutcracker" by Straight No Chaser and "Fool's Holiday" by All the Low, sound intriguing.  As for the two winners on last year's SNS, The Killers and The Hounds Of Winter, it remains to be seen.     The Killers, whose entry last year, "I Feel It In My Bones" broke some records here en route to a multi-stay run at #1,  put one out every year, but they just released a greatest hits set (Direct Hits) with only two new tracks (including the #45 "Shot in the Night"), with nothing seasonal on it.  So we'll see.   As for the Hounds, whose "Come On Christmas" reached #21, founder Tom Corea has hinted in a new seasonal song, not with the Hounds, but with his main band, Bad Attitude.  Looking forward to that one.

FINAL THOUGHT: I mentioned up top about American Idol's downfall.     2012 winner Phillip Phillps' third single from his debut album, "Where We Came From" moves to #38 and is also on the Triple-A chart, another great tune.   Radio is still playing his album, yet this year's winner, the talent Candace Glover, spent one week last summer in the lower reaches of the Hot 100, then disappeared.   So much for having a female winner.    But it says more about the show than the talent.    Will anyone watch this coming season?


Scenes 'n' Soundwaves 100

November 16, 2013

This Week
Last Week
ARTIST-Title
Weeks on List
1
3
NUMBER ONE:


CAGE THE ELEPHANT
"Come A Little Closer"
Album: Melophobia
14
2
1
Man Man - Head On
15
3
2
Terraplane Sun - Get Me Golden
16
4
4
Fitz and the Tantrums - Keeping Our Eyes Out
12
5
5
Lorde - Royals
13
6
6
Field Mouse - How Do You Know
15
7
9
Golden Void - Rise to the Out of Reach
14
8
10
Portugal. The Man - Purple Yellow Red & Blue
20
9
8
Wild Belle - Keep You
36
10
19
MOVER OF THE WEEK:
 
WILD BELLE
"Backslider"
Album: Isles
3
11
7
Robin Thicke f. T.I. & Pharrel Williams - Blurred Lines
17
12
11
Tame Impala - Elephant
21
13
17
Capital Cities - Safe and Sound
15
14
16
The Veils - Another Night on Earth
12
15
13
Foals - My Number
19
16
20
Those Darlins - Optimist
6
17
14
Matthew Koma - One Night
14
18
15
Smith Westerns - Varsity
8
19
34
TOP 20 IMPACT OF THE WEEK:
 
FITZ AND THE TANTRUMS
"The Walker"
Album: More Than Just A Dream
3
20
22
Avicii - Wake Me Up
10


21
26
Emiliana Torrini -Speed of Dark
4
22
25
Zedd f. Foxes - Clarify
10
23
24
The Satelliters - Where Do We Go
10
24
23
Florence + the Machine - Spectrum (Say My Name)
13
25
12
Katy Perry - Roar
14
26
18
Blake Shelton - Boys 'Round Here
19
27
33
Fitz and the Tantrums - Out of My League
39
28
40
San Cisco - Fred Astaire
6
29
29
Arcade Fire - Reflektor
10
30
38
Cold War Kids - Lost That Easy
6
31
28
Passenger - Let Her Go
17
32
31
Panic! at the Disco - Miss Jackson
6
33
61
Paul Czekaj - Wheels On Fire
2
34
21
Kings of Leon - Supersoaker
16
35
37
Lady Gaga - Applause
12
36
45
Taylor Centers - Alibi
8
37
43
Emeli Sande - My Kind of Love
8
38
42
Phillip Phillips - Where We Came From
8
39
35
Franz Ferdinand - Right Action
17
40
30
Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros - Better Days
15
41
32
Phoenix - Trying to Be Cool
23
42
39
The Avett Brothers - Another Is Waiting
10
43
51
Wig Party - She Figured It Out
10
44
41
Leila Hegazy - The Reason Why
15
45
54
The Killers - Shot At the Night
6
46
47
OneRepublic - Counting Stars
15
47
27
Case Studies - Everything
22
48
59
Coldplay - Atlas
6
49
56
Brent Dennen - Wild Child
8
50
85
Cate Le Bon - Are You With Me Now
2
51
57
Bonnie McKee - American Girl
8
52
81
Shannon Marsyada Trio - What You Do To Me
2
53
36
Rachel Allyn - Dear Prudence
16
54
49
The Livesays - Until You Kissed Me Like That
10
55
53
Porchistas - Johnny Miner
12
56
69
Eagulls - Nerve Endings
4
57
64
Hands - The Game is Changing Us
10
58
67
Bastille - Pompeii
4
59
50
Silversun Pickups - Dots and Dashes
19
60
58
The 1975 - Chocolate
13
61
78
King Tuff - Sun Medallion
4
62
44
Train f. Ashley Monroe - Bruises
20
63
52
Dawes - Most People
10
64
79
The Joy Formidable - Silent Treatment
3
65
95
Phosphorescent - Ride On/Right On
4
66
48
Bruno Mars - Treasure
18
67
60
The Unlikely Candidates - Follow My Feet
16
68
82
Of Montreal - Fugitive Air
3
69
66
Sara Bareilles - Brave
23
70
73
J Roddy Wilson and the Business - Heavy Bells
8
71
46
Lana Del Rey - Summertime Sadness
18
72
65
Mikal Cronin- Change
13
73
77
Taylor Swift f. Ed Sheeran - Everything Has Changed
8
74
----
TOP DEBUT:
 
YLVIS
"The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?)"
(Single only)
1
75
90
Haim - Forever
2
76
83
Jagwar Ma - Come Save Me
2
77
55
Pink f. Lily Allen - True Love
17
78
89
Pearl Jam - Sirens
4
79
87
Linkin Park - A Light That Never Comes
3
80
94
The Colourist - Little Games
2
81
97
Bruno Mars - Gorilla
2
82
63
Foxygen - No Destruction
18
83
72
Cayucas - High School Lover
24
84
84
Ellie Goulding - Burn
15
85
62
Atlas Genius - If So
22
86
76
Grouplove - Ways to Go
20
87
100
White Denim - Pretty Green
2
88
----
Holy Ghost - Okay
1
89
----
The Fray - Love Don't Die
1
90
96
The Head and the Heart - Shake
2
91
75
Imagine Dragons - Radioactive
49
92
RE ENTRY
Leila Hegazy - Mirror Mirror
31
93
----
Twin Forks - Cross My Mind
1
94
----
Tired Pony - All Things All At Once
1
95
68
Palma Violets - Best of Friends
21
96
70
Pixies - Bagboy
17
97
----
John Mayer - Wildfire
1
98
----
Plain White T's - The Giving Tree
1
99
----
Valerie June - You Can't Be Told
1
100
88
Calvin Harris f. Ellie Goulding - I Need Your Love
18


TREMORS:

101. James Blunt, Bonfire Heart
102. Goo Goo Dolls, Come to Me
103. Caveman, Shot You Down
104. The Limousines, Love and A Dog From Hell
105. Miley Cyrus, Wrecking Ball
106. Twenty-One Pilots, House of Gold
107. Cut Copy, We Are Explorers
108. Daughtry, Waiting For Superman
109. The So So Glos, Lost Weekend
110.  Imagine Dragons, Demons
111. Arctic Monkeys, Do I Wanna Know
112. Thirty Seconts to Mars - City of Angels
113. Saint of Valory, Neon Eyes
114. Jack Johnson, I Got You




No comments:

Post a Comment