Sunday, August 19, 2012

Two Years On (Music Review 8/13/2012)

FULL CIRCLE: With this edition, I have now completed two years of reporting my take on the current music scene as well as reflecting on some of experiences with music in the past.    What started out as a simple Facebook note with some comments on current songs along with my 20 favorite songs, has turned into a larger endeavor, with the list expended to 100 songs, and a few more stories to share, or at worst, some notes on some up and coming artists.

My original idea for this was because I had fallen out of touch with the current music scene.  I was pretty much turned off by some of the pop stuff, as well as things that were played on the radio.    Top 40 fell into a state of disrepair; there wasn't any commercial Alternative rock station worth listening to, and I was too busy just to sit down and listen to anything new.    I must have had some sort of ADD.    I was still making monthly CD's of new songs, but I never heard them on the radio, and in many cases, I had never heard them, but purchased and downloaded them anyway.   

At the end of every year, I would always make a list of my favorite 100 songs of the year, but by 2004, I couldn't do it anymore.  I'd be making lists of songs I heard a grand total of one time.   I knew the pop music scene deteriorated, but I always used to seek out some of the more obscure stuff out there, so I knew it wasn't true at all.  

Enter Facebook.   A platform that I embraced in September 2008, but had no idea of its power.    People I used to work with in the 1990's knew I loved music but it never spread beyond several people in my circles of friends.    But now, there's this platform with tons of people on there.  About a month or so, I was listening and watching the top 20 videos on VH-1 and came across a couple of great songs, "Green Light" by John Legend and "Chasing Pavements" by Adele.   WOW.    Saw the latter on Saturday Night Live that evening and was blown away.    Thus Adele was the first artists I "LIKE"-d and the first video I ever posted.     I said to myself, "what a great idea to share with people".

But still, I didn't do too much about it.    2008 ended and 2009 started.  I continued downloading songs without listening to them on the radio, making my monthly CD's.  I posted a few more songs on Facebook that I actually liked, and a few people would comment on it, but that was basically it.   Maybe a comment on friends who posted songs I like, but I still never realized the power.

By the end of 2009, traditionally a time of year to reflected on the past twelve months, I realized something.    At this point I had about 200 Facebook friends, and many of them were into music.   Quite a while ago, when there was just e-mail, I attached a spreadsheet of my Top 100 of the year in hopes of getting comments.   I got none.     But now, on Facebook, there's a captive audience.    So I thought, maybe do this thing again.      So I put my one hundred favorite songs in a Facebook note.   The response was overwhelming.   Comments from those who remembered my original lists (as well as my taped "broadcasts" counting down the songs, back in the day).      Some who pointed out songs which missed my lists, as well as just to say "good job".    So, as 2010 started, I had mulled over the possibility of doing more.

During the first half of 2010, I was really getting into my monthly CD's....it seemed that a lot of good songs that I was finding.   My mid-summer, The Black Keys, a band that I loved for several years, but really didn't get any widespread airplay, had come out with a song "Tighten Up", from their then-latest Brothers collection.    WOW.     Add to that some previously undiscovered gems (Neko Case), and new bands I was getting into (Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes, Grace Potter & the Nocturnals), along with some surprisingly good pop stuff (Lady Gaga's "Alejandro"; LaRoux's "Bulletproof", and Mike Posner's "Cooler Than Me"), and actually hearing some of it on the radio, and I did something about it.    I started a blog, the first, raw presentation is still available, and which I will repost on the actual anniversary date.



Over the next two years, it became somewhat of a labor of love.  I found that many of my friends were also into new music, much of it that I was into, so it just made me do this even more.    In April 2011, I moved it into the Blogger platform and posting links to it on Facebook.     Though I rarely get feedback on the blog itself (a few LIKEs at the most), I get a lot of hits on it every week; in fact, it reached the 5000-view mark last week.    To see some of my early blogs, go to my wall (no, I don't have timeline yet), and click on notes.  They are all there under various names as I tried to come up with a catchy name before settling on SNS now.   Just recently, I created a page on Facebook to post and discuss mostly new music and also post a link to my blog.

As far as the what the future holds, as long as people read it, I will blog it.    In the coming weeks I will relay some more of my experiences in which music was involved.   Popular music, at least has started to become more diversified again, what with the successes of artists like Adele, Foster the People, Grouplove, fun., Gotye, Ellie Goulding and several others.   The Lumineers, Mumford & Sons, Fleet Foxes, Arcade Fire, Florence + the Machine, The Decemberists and many others, are just the tip of the iceberg, and together, we'll explore the ever-changing trends in music as well as to salute the past.

QUICKLY:  Pink furthers her lead on the number one position as the ever-catchy "Blow Me (One Last Kiss)" stays at the top for a second week, in spite of oozing out of the top 10 (temporarily, hopefully) on Billboard's Hot 100.   Foxygen, Dignan Porch, and the Avett Brothers make big strides within or into the top 20.

Some good debuts this week, including the new Mumford & Sons, "I Will Wait"...it debuts high on several rock charts, as well at #23 on the Hot 100, another good sign for music like this.   I admit that it took me a while to get into this group, as three songs from their last effort, only made it into the lower SNS reaches.    But, my friends love them and I am gradually warming up to them as well.     The song picks up where they left off with their previous effort.   Babel is their new set which drops next month.

An intriguing new song is my Top Debut, "Elizabeth's Theme" by Dirty Beaches, which is actually one artist, Alex Zhang Hugtai from Montreal, now based on Vancouver.   Normally into the goth-rock genre, this song, is an easy, relaxing, good for what-ails-ya instrumental that borders on new-age.   It's something to track in the coming weeks.    I've been pretty much stressed out on many levels lately, so this song really is timely.

FINALLY:  Carly Rae Jepsen's "Call Me Maybe" finally ends its nine week reign at the top.   That's the good news.   The  band news is that Ellie Goulding's "Lights" stays at #2 and Flo Rida's "Whistle" takes the top spot.    Oh well!   And I may be heading to Sunday of the WNTI Riverfest music festival on  August 20; I will report on the music heard there.

SCENES'N'SOUNDWAVES 100 for Week of August 13, 2012:

This Week
Last Week
ARTIST-Title
Weeks on List
1
1
P!NK
"Blow Me (One Last Kiss)"
Album: The Truth About Love
(2 weeks at #1)
6
2
3
The Heavy - What Makes A Good Man
8
3
2
Trails and Ways - Nunca
12
4
7
The Black Keys - Little Black Submarine
9
5
5
Best Coast - The Only Place
13
6
18
Foxygen - Make It Known
4
7
14
Dignan Porch - Picking Up Dust
5
8
22
TOP 20 IMPACT OF THE WEEK:
 
THE AVETT BROTHERS
"Live And Die"
Album: The Carpenter

5
9
4
M83 - Reunion
13
10
6
The Kooks - Is It Me
12
11
12
Phillip Phillips - Home
12
12
13
Beach House - Lazuli
10
13
15
Kelly Clarkson - Dark Side
11
14
9
Mayer Hawthorne - Henny and Gingerale
14
15
8
Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros - That's What's Up
16
16
16
Fun. - Some Nights
20
17
10
Oberhofer - Away From You
17
18
20
The Raveonettes - Observations
7
19
11
Grace Potter & the Nocturnals - Never Go Back
18
20
21
Matchbox Twenty - She's So Mean
9

21
17
The Shins- The Rifle's Spiral
19
22
31
Two Door Cinema Club - Sleep Alone
4
23
19
Linkin Park - Burn It Down
16
24
30
The Royal Concept - Gimme Twice
8
25
24
Those Darlins - Screws Get Loose
23
26
29
Ty Segall - I Brought My Eyes
11
27
23
Gossip - Move in the Right Direction
9
28
33
Grassfight - Look Homeward Heathen
6
29
34
Of Monsters and Men - Mountain Sound
9
30
36
Emeli Sande - Next To Me
8
31
42
The Killers - Runaways
5
32
40
Green Day - Oh Love
4
33
25
Metric - Youth Without Youth
16
34
27
Maroon 5 - Come Away To the Water
21
35
32
Wolf Gang - The King and All His Men
11
36
28
Gotye f. Kimbra - Somebody That I Used to Know
30
37
38
Gotye - Eyes Wide Open
17
38
26
Graffiti6 - Stare Into the Sun
14
39
44
Meiko - Leave the Lights On
7
40
45
A Place to Bury Strangers - You Are the One
5
41
60
Basement Batman - On A Streak
3
42
50
The Features - Another One
6
43
58
Grouplove - Itchin' On A Photograph
2
44
51
Weeks - The House We Grew Up In
7
45
54
The Mungers - B School
6
46
53
No Doubt - Settle Down
4
47
37
The Wombats - Jump Into the Fog
23
48
41
Public Image Ltd - One Drop
8
49
43
The Gaslight Anthem - 45
12
50
76
MOVER OF THE WEEK:
 
 
REBECCA FERGUSON
"Nothing's Real But Love"
Album: Heaven
2
51
39
Dawes - If I Wanted Someone
8
52
35
Passion Pit - Take A Walk
13
53
48
Train - 50 Ways to Say Goodbye
10
54
47
Ty Segall & White Fence - I Am Not A Game
21
55
55
Grouplove - Tongue Tied
35
56
57
Electric Guest - This Head I Hold
24
57
46
The Beach Boys - That's Why God Made the Radio
10
58
52
Florence + the Machine - No Light, No Light
31
59
65
Dr. Dog - Lonesome
9
60
67
Chromatics - Into the Black
3
61
56
Lost n the Trees - Golden Eyelids
19
62
71
Joanna Burns - Simply Speak
3
63
49
Eve6 - Victoria
22
64
64
Florence + the Machine - Never Let Me Go
23
65
75
Snow Patrol - In the End
3
66
61
Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe
11
67
66
Ellie Goulding - Lights
30
68
59
Eric Hutchinson - Watching You Watch Him
10
69
62
Lady Antebellum - Dancing Away With My Heart
21
70
69
Rome - Dedication
7
71
63
Silent Rider - I Was A Bomb
7
72
73
White Violet - Lays Around Lazy
11
73
70
Christina Perri f. Jason Mraz - Distance
4
74
74
Daniel Powter - Cupid
5
75
81
Maroon 5 - One More Night
3
76
78
Aerosmith - Legendary Child
3
77
86
The Lumineers - Hey Ho
7
78
68
The Black Keys - Gold On the Ceiling
29
79
72
The Rapture - How Deep is Your Love
31
80
88
Bloc Party - Octopus
3
81
----
TOP DEBUT:

 
DIRTY BEACHES
"Elizabeth's Theme"
(Single Only)
1
82
----
Mumford & Sons - I Will Wait
1
83
----
Mayer Hawthorne - No Strings
1
84
----
Tristan Prettymen - My Oh My
1
85
77
The Decemberists - One Engine
19
86
83
Fun. f. Janelle Monae - We Are Young
37
87
99
Japandroids - The House That Heaven Built
2
88
84
Jack White - I'm Shaken
6
89
97
Dave Matthews Band - Mercy
21
90
98
Smashing Pumpkins - Celestials
2
91
RE ENTRY
Alex Clare - Too Close
12
92
94
The XX - Angels
2
93
----
Youngblood Hawke - We Come Running
1
94
92
Band of Horses - Knock Knock
4
95
82
Garbage - Blood For Poppies
21
96
80
Jacuzzi Boys - Automatic Jail
7
97
91
Toby Keith - Red Solo Cup
21
98
----
Slightly Stoopid - Top of the World
1
99
----
Sean Rowe - Horses
1
100
85
Silversun Pickups - Bloody Mary
20








.

No comments:

Post a Comment