Friday, April 8, 2011

An Introduction: Now it's MY Turn to Blog!

Hi there, and welcome to my new blog, "Scenes 'n' Soundwaves".   Now, I know some of you are rolling your eyes, saying "just what we need....another blog".  Who actually reads these things?   Fair enough.   But that could be counter-balanced by others who might be saying "Well, it's about time!!".  At least I'd like to think so.

A few weeks ago, I was up at a friend's cabin near Stratton, Vermont on a ski weekend.    Friday night a bunch of us were hanging out there having some beers to start the weekend off in anticipation of a great day of skiing to follow.    Out comes my camera...I tell my friend, "I hope you don't mind if a take a few pictures..."   My friend replied, "not at all...you are the great documentor!".   Yes, I got that reputation; one need only look at my Facebook pages to see all the photos I've taken, most of them in just the last two and a half years ago.   

But why a blog?   Well, that just seems like the natural progression.    Before Facebook and the other online photo sites popped up, I put all of my memories in albums and boxes...usually the former.  But what set them apart from your average album were the notes.  In fact, more of the pages were taken up with the stories behind the pictures than the photos themselves!

While I don't anticipate blogging about everything that comes my way, I do wish to write about various things, both present and past, in which I would like to reflect on.   Trying to put my thoughts to pen and paper (or, as it's known these days, fingers and keyboard!)

You may be wondering why I'm calling my blog "Scenes 'n' Soundwaves".    Well, first, the 'soundwave' part.   Anyone who has read my Facebook wall knows I love listening to music...been doing that since I was a kid listening to 77 WABC back in the day.   I have no musical talent to speak of, but as they say, "those who can't do, teach!" (not to mention, "those who can't do OR teach....write about it!").   Since last August, I've been writing a column of sorts, discussing some great new music coming down the pike, and revealing my weeklyfavorite top 20 (or in some weeks, 100) current songs.     Facebook notes, however can be rather clumsy, though...you can't display grids, and I could never get the "weeks on chart" column to ever line up.    Beginning next week, this will be the home of my weekly music stories.

But what about the "Scenes" part?   This is where my blog will become all-encompassing:   "scene" could mean, of course, the music (or pop culture in general) scene.     Having been an outdoors person much of my life, it could also mean "scenery", as in the views of the countryside, the beach & ocean, or a view from a top of a mountain after hiking it, or before I ski down it.    I've put much of my love for hiking and the outdoors on hiatus lately, but am hoping to get back into it, and write about my experiences in doing so.   


A recent snowmobiling trip in Vermont
 Finally, a little bit about me.    I am 54 years old, married four years, and living in Landing, NJ.   I have no kids, unless you count the furry kind...which includes a dog, four cats, and assorted other critters.    I hope you will find my stories interesting!   Stay tuned for some tales to tell!

3 comments:

  1. welcome to the blogoshere... the wanderer - aka documenter... expands his horizons. enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Bob! You were a blogger before there was even an "internet". Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete